Tuesday, July 26, 2016

ART on the MOVE, July 25th at the Denver Botanic Gardens

Whenever I take the children on an excursion through the Gardens, I discover something new.  They generously offer a fresh perspective on the beauty all around us.  Before leaving the lobby we had a group meeting.  First step... group communication.  After a brief chat, we settled on two code words: I Spy and Draw.  I Spy, to announce when a member of our group encounters something "amazing" to share. Draw to announce when someone wants to, well, draw.  With communication in place it was time to clarify who was the teacher.  I asked, "Please raise your hand if you are a teacher here."  Fortunately, most of the children knew the answer from years spent in the studio with me and soon our little group stood in a circle of raised hands.  I reminded them that they are the best researchers and teachers I know and that I would be recording their observations and thoughts through the Gardens.  They smiled confidently at me, ready to begin... and so we entered.  Here are a few of their discoveries:

I Spy!  Look at this leaf!  It looks like a lilypad and a leaf at the same time.  It's a flower leaf.  Yea, it's like a lily pad blooming but not on water.  
I Spy!  It's a cactus.  It's pokey.  It looks like barnacles on a whale.  The spikes keep birds from sitting on them.  Well not all birds, owls can get into a cactus and make nests in them.  Yea, some birds can make homes in even a cactus.
I Spy!  It looks like beautiful green and purple baby corn.  There's such a thing as purple corn.  I've seen it.  Yea, it's Indian corn.  I think some people call it blue corn but it's purple too.  I've tasted it.  It's good.
Draw!  These flowers are so fluffy.  They feel like pillows.  It's a whole bunch of little flowers growing together.  It's big and soft and really light.  Let's call it a "Puffy-fluffy-white"!
I Spy!  This volunteer came by with a 250 year old bonsai.  The children then spotted this tree with many eyes, which led to a conversation about all the things a tree sees in it's lifetime.
Draw!  Here the children each found their own inspiration amidst a flowery bounty.
When drawings were complete they shared them with the group.
 Can you spy our friends hiding in the tall grass pictured above and below?  Ask your child for help.
Draw!  The lily pond is a source of wonder for many of us.  While the children examined its many colors, flowers and more, they grew quiet with contemplation and focus... a natural byproduct of any nature immersion.
It was another remarkable day in the garden, learning and relearning alongside the children.
Hope to see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment