Wednesday, May 20, 2015

pancakes with primary

How do we make pancakes in the studio?  Well it's different every time.  This week we began with a table full of ingredients, including: eggs, flour, butter, apple sauce, baking powder, salt, maple syrup, water and bananas.  I am celiac so the flours offered included: brown rice, buckwheat, corn meal and Pamela's gluten free baking mix.
We had 5 overripe bananas and began with banana mashing, the fork was quickly abandoned in favor of hand mashing.
Next, we added two eggs, melted butter, apple sauce, all four of our flours, baking powder salt and a dash of maple syrup.
We mixed it all together (this time using the fork) and ladled spoonfuls onto a hot griddle, sprinkling with raisins.
 The only thing left to do was to serve them up, drizzle with maple syrup and enjoy!
The toddlers had a play food feast of their own.
And when it came time to clean up, tables and floors were scrubbed and dried, all with little to no direction from me.  It is beautiful to witness the children taking full responsibility for their studio with joy and satisfaction.  By this time of the year I am more witness than director and I enjoy observing their conversations, choices and interactions.

When asked about pancakes, here is what they had to say:
Jaylen             My favorite kind of pancakes are these ones that I’m eating.  I
like them with the syrup and raisins.  They are really sweet.
Aiden              My favorite pancakes are raspberry and chocolate pancakes.  My dad
makes em cuz he’s a good maker.  I help him make it.
Dillon              My favorite are plain pancakes.
Dax                 My dad makes chocolate pancakes..  My mom makes regular ones.
Georgie           My brother Declan makes the best pancakes.
Willa               I love butter pancakes.  I love butter!
Sebastian       I love the pancakes Patti my babysitter makes.  They have chocolate chips on top.
Fisher             I like normal pancakes with butter and syrup.
Teddy             I like pancakes with bananas and blueberries.
Sadie               I like chocolate pancakes with whipped cream on them.
Gretta B          I like plain pancakes with syrup and butter.
Quinn             I love chocolate chip pancakes that mommy makes, with syrup on top.
Grace              I like chocolate chip pancakes that Westin’s granny makes.
Mosely            My mommy makes the best pancakes.  I like plain pancakes with not-blueberries.  I like syrup on my pancakes!
Colson             I like blueberry pancakes.
Lila                  I like pancakes with the blueberries on top.
Caroline          I like not-blueberries.  I like strawberries, but sometimes I don’t like strawberries.
Cooper            My favorite pancakes are with syrup.
Zeger              I like mine with butter and syrup.

Copeland        I had pancakes for breakfast!  I like mine with just syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment