Friday, March 6, 2015

Cold

As the year began, many of you might recall that I had grand research questions, like:  How can tools of representation and creative expression be utilized to encourage depth encounters with the natural world?  In a short time the children showed me that my question was flawed at the onset.  Children are not disconnected from the natural world, in fact they seem to encounter life with a fluidity of experience that will humble any adult.  They continued to redirect my thinking on the topic through their studio inquiries this year, eventually focusing on self portraits and feelings, reminding me that all inquiries and connections with the broader world begin with the self.  
With the freezing temperatures and heavy snow, the children found countless ways to explore the outdoor environment.  Their enthusiasm and wonder continues to encourage me to approach life with open curiosity and courageous inquiry.

No comments:

Post a Comment