Friday, February 27, 2015

Exploring Things that Stick

This has been a fabulous year of discovery alongside the toddlers.  Together we continue to explore the properties of various media.  Today I set out a provocation to investigate things that stick (intentionally avoiding glue or paste to better isolate the experience to non-messy sticking).
I put out contact paper on the easel with flower petals, leaves and colored paper for tearing.
On the floor, I covered a large surface with white butcher paper and set out colored tape to adorn the surface (in a short time the children asked for markers too and I obliging accordingly).
I also set out dot stickers.  
The children used all of these materials and as they worked it was easy to see the physical development taking place as children exercised their hands, fine motor control and coordination to manipulate the various materials.
In a short time the children found new uses for tape and dots and we spent a big chunk of time just laughing.  At one point I was adorned with a tape mustache, nose stripe, beauty dots and a goatee by my fellow artists.
 It was a fun way to spend the day learning and growing together.
Some of the creations adorn the windows in the toddler classroom and the flower remnants were tossed onto the white snow, providing a colorful promise of the Spring to come

No comments:

Post a Comment