Friday, January 8, 2016

snow and light and toddlers

What better way to approach a snowy day in winter than through a spirit of inquiry alongside some of my youngest friends.
 The toddlers are some of the best researchers I have ever met.
 They bring a level of enthusiasm and fearlessness seldom seen in adults.
As they work they navigate complex social expectations, like working together with limited materials and space while negotiating the paradox of relationship and independence.

They tend to leave me awed by the aliveness of their experience, whatever it may be.
I am reminded again and again of something I heard Carlina Rinaldi say earlier last year,  "Childhood is not a phase of life.  It is a quality of life".
I am so grateful to these young teachers for reminding me again of our inherent human qualities: curiosity, joy, enthusiasm, bravery and presence.  They can teach us so much about being human when we take the time to learn.
Have I said lately that I LOVE MY JOB/JOY?  I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment