Monday, October 20, 2014

Leaf explorations with wire

To extend the leaf explorations and deepen our conversation I introduced wire, as a tool, to express our ideas about leaf shape, size and more.
 In a short time I realized that something was amiss.
Many of the children were working with wire but it felt forced and there were several comments of: "I can't do this", "Angelina will you do it for me",  "It won't work", etc.  That doesn't actually happen often in the studio.  And then I realized what I had done.  I had introduced a new media (which is a new language) for the first time, with an intentional expectation for it's use.
I know better!  What the children needed was an opportunity to just "mess about" with wire, exploring it's properties and uses before trying to link it with leaf representations.
 Patient as ever, the children still delivered some gorgeous interpretations of leaf and tree.
 And offered me another powerful reminder to SLOW down.

No comments:

Post a Comment