Thursday, October 9, 2014

my best teachers

If you ask the children who is the teacher in the studio, most of them will assure you that they are my best teachers and here is a prime example of why:
I introduced a stack of nature photographs into the studio to be used in art and as an inspiration for art.  S came into the studio, collected a large bundle of photos, stapled them together and was about to return to class before I said, "Whoa".  I pointed out that taking a whole stack of photos wasn't fair to the other children, I watched her radiant face cloud with regret and immediately realized that I had made a mistake.  I suggested that we look at the stack and decide how we might work with them further.  Her smile brightened again and after some discussion she opted to make a book.
 She spent several studio sessions adding drawings and pages to her book.
When she was finished we read Beautiful Oops! together and I suggested that she could make a book any time.  She quickly countered, "As long as I don't use photos".  I smiled and served myself a big portion of crow and told her that the photo incident wasn't her mistake but mine.  I reminded her that sometimes I think I know how something should be used and then my wonderful teachers come into the studio and remind me of the thousand other ways that I had never begun to imagine.  She laughed at that and returned to her class.

No comments:

Post a Comment