Friday, October 3, 2014

The value of mess?

A few of the morning toddler parents joined me in the studio this morning and facilitated a painting project with the toddlers for our upcoming annual auction.  They brought in several fun painting tools including: trucks, buses, feathers, scrub brushes, sponges and more and we put them out with a palette of yellows.  Soon a number of our children's feet, legs, hands and even cheeks were brightly adorned with sunny shades of yellow.  A tub of warm soapy water stood at-the-ready as children transitioned from studio back to classroom.   The parents did a beautiful job facilitating the project and the toddlers who participated were animated with smiles, dialog and joyful movement.
I, however, was uncomfortable.
Discomfort as a teacher is always a neon reminder to self reflect.
Why was I uncomfortable? Why?  The answer was simple? It was messy.  That's all really.  Mess seems to be enough to make many adults shudder with discomfort.
Why?
As a Montessori teacher I am trained to support children as they develop a sense of order, concentration, coordination and independence.  As a Reggio inspired educator I am reminded to cultivate collaboration, exploration, innovation and expression.  And so I asked my shuddering adult self, "Is there a value in MESSY?"  I am already familiar with enough of the research supporting sensory play to imagine the answer is likely YES.  Noting my discomfort, I promptly printed several articles on the subject and have already begun talking with the classroom teachers about the topic.  I don't have answers yet but identifying the question is a strong first step.
If you have any ideas or thoughts on the subject, please post a comment here or come by the studio to share with me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment